Tuesday, May 21, 2013

You never get a second chance to make a first impression.. (Xbox One Revealed)

So the NeXbox is officially Xbox One.

Mixed thoughts trending towards negative.. a lot was the "everything but gaming" stuff I so decried about the PS4 reveal.

With E3 just a couple weeks away, that was pretty much to be expected.

But when you're touting a strategic partnership with EA Sports (nothing exclusive or different) as one of your big reveals, as well as timed exclusives to DLC for Call of Duty Ghost (not the main game, just the DLC).. it's extremely light on games..

Two big negatives here, as expected, Microsoft has a "feature" where if you want to play an Xbox game on more than one account, you have to pay Microsoft for the privilege. This seems to end the used games/rental games market before it starts. That's going to be a big depressor to me, as I like to try games before I buy them.  The second big negative is backwards compatibility.. or lack thereof. Sorry folks, I have about $1200 worth (original purchase price), and you want me to pay $500/$300 (depending on what rumors you believe and what service plan you go with) to lock me out of that content? Pass.

Let's see where it goes, but again, I'm a gamer. If I want to watch TV, I'll watch my cable box. If I want to use Skype, I'll use my PC. Show me next gen games. Show me a reason to purchase it. Xbox One has not done that yet.


1 comment:

  1. Consoles have always done this, and they always will.

    The only, ONLY gaming platform that has not has been PC.

    It is the Swiss Army Knife of all things entertainment. It's TV, Movies, Games, Work, Study, communication and sexuality [creepy maybe but is a hidden [not so hidden] fact of the Internet, Avenue Q comes to mind]

    And at todays processing power.... even the bargain basement rigs can do last years top games with just a video card upgrade.

    ReplyDelete