Monday, May 6, 2013

The Unholy Alliance: Disney/EA (Star Wars)

Apparently, I am the last to know about today's announcment of the Star Wars/EA Hookup.

As my friend SackAttack (who I am still trying to get to write a guest column or two every so often for 8bitmind) put it, "Welcome to 12 hours ago".

These are the things that I think I'm thinking.

If you think that this means there's going to be a new KOTOR game, you're probably right.

Battlefield Star Wars? Probably.

A Star Wars-ish Dead Space game? Yeah, that too.

Too bad this probably means  the end of the smallbies (yes, that's a word, I don't care what spell check says), use of the Star Wars license. The Star Wars pinball tables were something different and interesting.. but Star Wars is a great license for EA to land, and it fits right in with their idea to have a foundation that multiple titles can be released in.

When I first saw the headline, I thought that EA was going to be Borg'ed by Disney. That would be scary. Disney owns so much of our video memories, our comic memories, and they'd take a big step to enter the full fledged video game market. Thankfully, this is an alliance, not the House Of Mouse taking over.


No comments:

Post a Comment