Sunday, April 28, 2013

Why Steam is dangerous to my wallet...


This just happened:

"Hmmm.. wonder what's up on Steam "

*loads steam home page*

"Hey, Ticket to Ride is a Steam deal.. I'd never play that in board game form, too much buy in, not to mention I know nobody here who plays it... but for $6.00 with all the DLC.... sure."

(adds)

"Oh, another weekly deal, Defense Grid, the Awakening? With all the DLC for $5? Sure, why not."

"Oh, hey a couple new games, a new 4X game and it's 10% off because it's a new release.. *adds StarDrive for $30*" (See Footnote)

"And hey, Mars War Logs.. any sci-fi RPG that's $20 and gets compared to Mass Effect (the original) and doesn't get completely crushed in the comparison.. that's a must get right?"

All of a sudden, I'm $60 in the hole. That's the insidious nature of Steam. It pulls you in, and pushes the impulse buy button hard.

Footnote: I really wish I had read the community hub page for StarDrive before I had added it in. As a new game, MetaCritic and other such sites didn't have much on it when I looked. However, when I was installing the game, I went to the community hub page, and the consensus there seems to be "There may or may not be a good game in here, but there's so many bugs in the way we can't tell yet." Eek.





No comments:

Post a Comment