Friday, April 19, 2013

Friday "Fun"spot for 4/19

Sheesh, another crazy day, as my city is basically locked down. But hopefully it's all over soon. The Fun must flow!

Next-Gen Xbox Kinect to be integrated, feature face tracking?

Saw several stories that the next generation xbox (Durango, Xbox 720, or just plain xbox) will have built in Kinect 2.0, and will possibly have a feature to use facial recognition technology, for example, to pause the video when you look away. Maybe I'm getting old, but this sounds incredibly creepy to me.

Free Xbox Live weekend begins...

Well, I'll be a cynic and say they're doing this so people realize that being online is a cool thing and that it's a good thing that it's always on for next-gener.. nah I can't pull that off. Cool thing. Xbox Live will be free through Monday.

Patent Troll gets "edged" out..

I hate patent trolls. Look, I understand that we must defend the right to innovation, but we have a subclass of businesses that does not innovate, they patent wild-ass stuff and do nothing with it then squat on it like a spider and wait for future iterations to come up with something similar, and then extorts money out of them. So cheers to Electronic Arts, the so-called Worst Company In America (which just proves that video game geeks can complain very vociferously online repeatedly) for smacking down a magazine publisher who named his magazine Edge, and then decided to sue EA for making's Mirror Edge, and a couple independent video game companies for having the word Edge in their titles.

The good news is they lost, completely and utterly.
The bad newes is, it took six years to complete.


And finally..

As hopefully the last bits of the week dribble out, my thoughts are with people in Boston, my home city, as at the time I'm writing this, we look to be in the closing stages of the whole thing. Hopefully it's over, and at some point in  the near future, we will reopen the Boston Marathon course, from the town I work in (Hopkinton), to Boston, and we show those who attempted to terrorize it that we will not cower in fear. God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment