Monday, June 3, 2013

The Monday Blues for June 3rd.

Hey all, Don't worry, the Monday Blues aren't sticking around, but if Friday is the Funspot, Monday is definitely the blues.

Just some quick hits on the video game world:

Fuse seems to have gotten fair to middling reviews and the consensus view is that it has a lot of successful things to it that work well for other titles, yet the game lacks something that would tie them all together in a cohesive package. Sad to see, was looking forward to that one.

Lot going on in the crowdfunding bandwagon, as Double Fine is at it again... this time with a game with a unique hook called MASSIVE CHALICE. What is it, you might ask?

The line is "If turn-based tactics and feudal fantasy had a love child, and that offspring founded a mighty century-spanning dynasty, it would be MASSIVE CHALICE."

Ok, consider my interest piqued. Kinda like Record of Agarest War, with out the very arcane game system, or the anime boobs. That's fine by me. Some will chide Double Fine for launching a new kickstarter, while the previous one hasn't come out, but apparently one third of Double Fine is working on the previous game, which allows this. So, I've pledged, and if you want to as well, the Kickstarter is here:

On the somewhat negative side, looks like the F2P Mech Arena games market is tapped out, as Heavy Gear Assault's kickstarter hasn't gotten out of first gear. Two weeks into a 40 day fundraising campaign hoping to raise $800,000, and they haven't even gotten $40,000. Sad to see...

And finally on the kickstarting side, if no one sees me for a month or so, that's because Shadowrun Returns is on the verge of being released and I'll be playing and/or creating adventures for a month or so. The editor is now out to high money kickstarter backers, prior to general release, and from what I've been reading from folks who've tried it out is that it's very powerful, a bit kludgey, but very useable. How interested am I in this game? I signed up for a contest at GenCon, which gives the 16 competitors four hours to build a campaign using the editor, with prizes to the winner. Kinda like Iron Chef with Trolls and Cyberware.

Let's see.. what else..

Remember Me.. no I'm not asking you to remember me, I'm talking about the game Remember Me, which comes out tommorrow. I've seen a couple places that just LOVE the environment and feeling the game evokes, but the lack of interactivity with the environment is a negative. The best comparison I've gotten is from a friend of mine who got a review copy, and told me "This game won't sell well now, but will be the cult classic of its generation". I guess kinda like Alpha Protocol.. (and yes, I still get into arguments when I defend Alpha Protocol.)

Oh, just a gaming mention that's not quite a video game mention, looks like ESPN has started the six week gambling fest that is the World Series of Poker with a bang, as they will be airing 35 final tables on their video streaming site, espn3.com. Trust me, if you're a poker fan, this time of the year is a bonanza. If the phrase "Well, I had a pocket pair of fours, moved up to trips on the flop, fell behind when the fish pulled a bigger set out of his ass on the turn, but got saved with a one-outer to have quads on the river and scoop the pot" confuses you and or disgusts you.. well.. I'd say you have no poker soul

No comments:

Post a Comment