Sunday, March 17, 2013

Tripwire blames Call of Duty for "Ruining a generation of gamers"

Ran across this statement from Tripwire (Killing Floor and Red Orchestra) President John Gibson:

" but I’m really, I feel like Call of Duty has almost ruined a generation of FPS players. I know that’s a bold statement, but I won’t just throw stones without backing it up. When I was developing Action Mode [for RO2], I got a group of people that I know that are pretty hardcore Call of Duty players. And my goal was to create something that was accessible enough for them to enjoy the game—not turn it into Call of Duty, but try to make something that I thought was casual enough but with the Red Orchestra gameplay style that they would enjoy. And we iterated on it a lot. And just listening to all the niggling, pedantic things that they would complain about, that made them not want to play the game, I just thought, “I give up. Call of Duty has ruined this whole generation of gamers.”

He goes on to say some of the valid things that gamers have come to expect as a result of the Call of Duty series versus some "more realistic" shooters (full acceleration versus a more natural speeding up, for example).. but sometimes the fact that something is 99% reasonable gets overshadowed by the 1% that's out of line. And this is way out of line.

There was so many other ways he could have put it, that gamers have moved away from games like the Red Orchestra series because games like CoD have narrowed the skill gap, etcetera, but to say its "ruined a generation of gamers.. well, I think he needs to understand that he has two options. One) Accept that gamers prefer a more arcadey experience then what he planned to offer, and make a change, or Two) Lower his expectations and his target accordingly. But to say that Call of Duty "ruined a generation of gamers"... just wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment